this is more for Future Carrie’s benefit and recollection than it is for you. but 2013 was crazytown, y’all.
- SO MUCH TRAVEL. Went to London, England and Lisbon, Portugal for two conferences, went to Italy with my family and BFF in June, went to Cambridge for my 5-year reunion, Chicago to see David Byrne in concert (!), Chicago again for my parents’ 60th birthday party, and various other locales in Texas for funsies
- went to SXSW for the third time, covering a bunch of comedy events, which involved playing Bingo with Will Arnett, Jeffrey Tambor, and Mitch Hurwitz, seeing Tenacious D in a very intimate venue, and partying at the Team Coco/Funny or Die party that was inexplicably also sponsored by some FPS videogame
- took my last class everrrrrrr
- planned a graduate conference about Amer’cuh and presented a paper about Larry David there
- mourned the death of a close friend of mine, Elsa Kim, who was killed in a car accident in late August but who stays with me in clear and not-so-clear ways
- read 200 books
- redecorated my apartment with some new furniture so now I don’t look like I live in a 12-year old’s house
- started writing for Kill Screen - video gaaaames
- played a LOT of new video games for work [obviously]
- came up with a dissertation topic
- covered Fun Fun Fun Fest for Laughspin and interviewed Patton Oswalt from the back of a golf cart
- dealt with the lack of a ceiling in a portion of my apartment for ~6 weeks
- worked on development and fundraising for my department (and we were successful!)
- hung out with my friends a lot and that was awesome.
to 2014… fewer books plz.